Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Enjoy my FREE Printable Pattern, "Jack-and-the-Cat", and a recipe for Chocolate Turtle Cake!

Many of you have heard of Primitive Quilts & Projects Magazine, a thick, wonderful, glossy magazine dedicated to the more primitive side of handmades.  Each issue is packed with instructions for at least 15 projects, ranging from hooked rugs to quilts, table runners, dolls and other great ideas.  I was very pleased that one of my rug hooking designs, Jack-and-the-Cat, was chosen for their fall 2012 issue, which I blogged about last year (to see those posts, just search this blog for "Jack-and-the-Cat" and you'll be instantly updated).

I'm happy to say that the magazine's temporary copyright on my design has now expired, and that means I can now publish it on my blog and website.  But geeesh! my little inner voice whined that it would be tacky to charge for the pattern, so instead I've created a full-color printable download with complete instructions and the template.  I hope you enjoy it!  To access the pattern, just click on the picture below . . .


So What's Cookin' Today?  Mmmm, how about a yummy Chocolate Turtle Cake recipe from Betty Crocker!  I've tasted this caramel-and-chocolate delight and bingo! I took one look at the photo and knew I'm gonna be a big hit at the next picnic with the in-laws . . .


CHOCOLATE TURTLE CAKE by Betty Crocker

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil's food cake mix (along with water, vegetable oil and eggs as called for on the cake mix box)
  • 1 bag (14oz) caramels
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup of chopped pecans
  • 1 bag (6oz or 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (Mmmm!)
  • Caramel and chocolate toppings, if desired
Heat your oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark or non-stick pans).  Grease or spray the bottom of a 13"x9" pan.

Prepare the cake batter as directed on the box.  Pour half the batter into the prepared pan (refrigerate the remaining batter).  Bake for approximately 22 minutes.

While the cake is baking, heat the caramels and evaporated milk in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the caramels are melted.  Stir in the pecans.  When the cake comes out of the oven, pour the caramel mixture over the warm cake in the pan. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.  Then pour the remaining batter over the cake.  Bake another 25 to 28 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.  Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake and then allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.  Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or drizzle with chocolate and/or caramel toppings.  Store loosely covered.  Makes 20 servings.

That's It For Today!  I'm finishing up the last of the instructions and photography on a new pattern that features wool applique and the "crazy quilt" method, and I hope to release it this week.  There's also an idea for an Easter candle mat that I want to start working on this weekend, and I'll share tutorials on that pattern as I work along.  In the meantime, Happy Stitchin'!  xoxo--Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Wow Melanie - Thanks so much for the free rug hooking pattern - this looks like a fun design! And the recipe sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete