Friday, June 5, 2015

Blog Re-Design and New Punch Needle Pattern

My friend, Yvonne Buss of Vintage Heart Primitives, complains I blog too little, while she is a shining example of how to keep in touch with people who follow her work.  Yvonne posts regularly with beautiful pictures of her work, describing in intimate detail how she arrives at ideas for new designs with pictorials from the French countryside or vintage works of art.  Sigh. 

So I began to scrutinize my blog, carefully examining my old posts and pictures, wondering as I wandered why I hesitated to post more often.  I explained to myself that I was very busy, and that excuse made me feel much better until I realized Yvonne is just as busy.  Darn.  Then I decided I had trouble finding something to say, but that quickly went by the wayside.  Anyone who knows me realizes talking is my first and favorite hobby. 

Then it hit me.  My blog didn't feel like "home".  The colors were all wrong and the logo at the top was garish and boring.  I hated all the links and the noise and confusion.

So I spent a few days creating a new theme that really rings my bell, so to speak, and I changed the color scheme and the background wallpaper.  I whacked out all the messy links and made my posts simple and clear.  I used some of my favorite wools for my new logo (what do you think?) . . .



. . . and settled on this yummy new border background that somehow reminds me of blackbirds and apple pie:



So what do you think?  Are you comfortable here?   I hope this blog is full of ideas and inspiration and you always leave with more than you came with.  So let's get cookin'!

Do You Enjoy Punch Needle?  Have you tried it yet?  I became acquainted with this hand-art several years ago, but the equipment was crummy and there were few patterns and ideas on the market.  Now punch needle is booming, particularly because materials are easier to find and due to the availability of a great punch needle tool, the Ultra-Punch.  It used to be called the "Cameo" and it's by far the best punch needle tool on the market.  I've tried other brands readily available at my local fabric store (Boye, Clover, etc.), but the Ultra-Punch is the only needle I recommend.  Why?  Because it comes with three needles (small, medium and large), is simple to use, and makes consistent loops.  In my opinion, no other punch needle on the market makes the same, consistent loops.  If you'd like to try the Ultra-Punch, just click here and I'll drop one in the mail to you by fassssst delivery.  You won't be disappointed.
Would you like some simple punch needle instruction?  Just click here for the skinny on punch needle.  And when you order a punch needle pattern or kit from me, you always get nice, full-color printed instructions on how to punch.  See?  I want you to leave with more than you came with.

How About a New Design?  I went crazy last weekend and designed three new punch needle patterns.  I wanted something with movement and I was definitely tired of the same old primitive designs with a lamb, a star and a flower.  Sigh again.  A couple of evenings ago, while the hubby had old western movies blaring, I began punching this sweet little design . . .



. . . which I will finish tonight and is yet to be named.  I love-love it and will offer it next week on my website and in my Etsy store, drawn on good weavers cloth or as a full kit with over-dyed threads.  What do you think?  Does it have enough movement?  Does it evoke feelings of hot summer and happiness under the sun?

Well, I'm headed back to my worktable and back to my wools and threads and, yes, my punch needle.  I hope this finds you happy and well.  Give me a holler and let me know what's going on in your neck of the woods.  In the meantime, Happy Stitchin'.

                                                        --xoxo Melanie


2 comments:

  1. I love this pattern, and the new background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I finished it up last night, so now it's on to adding the finishing touches.

      Delete